I love your travel blog and I hate your travel blog.
Who are you? Anyone with a blog filled with colorful tales of escapades abroad. You know, like the time you had to sweet-talk the Indian consulate into giving you a visa, got swindled by the taxi driver in Costa Rica, went partying with the Germans in Guatemala, sustained an injury on the Great Wall of China, or got mobbed by Bangladeshi street kids while handing out oranges.
Here's the thing: I have been possessed with a touch of the green-eyed monster as of late and I am not completely sure why. All of the above adventures are mine, so it is clear that I have not just been sitting at home on my duff for the last 10 years. Truly, I have been blessed with amazing opportunities to see our wonderful world. But I want more. And every time I read a blog post detailing some place I have yet to see, or even some place I have already been, I am overwhelmed with either wanderlust or nostalgia, or what I like to call "wanderalgia", a lethal combination of both of those. When wanderalgia strikes, I am stuck in a mopey, petulant child funk the rest of the day and that is when I know the madness must stop. Timeout from your blog is put in effect. But then I miss the updates and the stories and inevitably, I go back for more, just like a jilted suitor.
For most of the last 10 years, I have always had some sort of plan in the works for next adventure. Always a next destination, always something to look forward to. This past year has been no exception either-Tanzania/Zanzibar at the end of last year, followed by Turkey in April, followed by our Wild West honeymoon adventure. And now? I got nuthin.' Zip. The agenda is free and clear and I don't like it one single bit. Which is why I have troubles reading your blog sometimes. The nagging thoughts start at the headline and whisper their way through the entry--"what if I never go anywhere again? what if my adventures are over?
"WELL PLAN SOMETHING THEN YOU CRAZY PERSON!" you are probably thinking. Well, I'd like to, but I can't just go out willy-nilly and spend cold hard cash on airfare and souvenirs when I have newly assumed rent and other life expenses to pay right?
But that is nothing compared to the kingpin of negative thoughts, and here is my second confession for today: I am going to be 30 in just a few weeks. With 30 comes all sorts of adult things. Marriage is a recent development for me, THAT birthday is on the imminent horizon, and according to everybody who finds out about said recent marriage, kids will soon be coming along. Perish that thought right now. Eventually, yes of course, but right this second is not on the schedule. Soon"ish." Am I getting old? Washed-up? Settled? *gasp*. I hope not. But without a trip planned, it sure feels like it. So, right now, I live vicariously through you and yours, which is both the curse and the blessing.
Now, before you consider calling one of my loved ones and putting me on some sort of watch, here is the good news. As I have grown up, I have also grown to appreciate the "lesser" adventures. No, I don't need an African extravaganza every year to keep me happy. Sure, it would be fantastic, but it simply isn't going to happen. And if I don't accept that, I would just be plain miserable. I truly enjoy the smaller weekend adventures, the day trips, and the fun night out. It's not all about crickets on a stick or wild bus rides in the Andes Mountains with me.
Having clarified my mental state, I still would buy a ticket somewhere right now if I had the resources to do so. But here is the other good news: when I first started writing this post, I had only the plan of going back to substitute teaching this year, despite having finished my studies and gotten certified. Then came the phone call heard 'round the world. 36 hours and one 12 minute interview later, I am writing to you as the newest public school teacher in the WV. Woo-hoo! Benefits! Paid snow days! Aaaannnd.....most importantly, a steady paycheck with which to start planning my next trip! All is right with the world again. At least until I read your next blog entry with glowing reports of some back-alley gem of a restaurant in a Beijing hutong or the spectacular sunset on Bali. Then I may want to throw darts at my computer screen.
![]() |
| Reeeealllly important call at the Great Wall. |

Wanderalgia! Brilliant.
ReplyDeleteOk, so I'm only 24, and going through somewhat of the same thing since I was laid off. Everyone around me is settling down, and sometimes I want to, and sometimes I crave that steady income (congrats, btw!), but now's the time to travel. Too bad I'm broke. Too bad I love St. John's too fecking much to consider RTW.
I say embrace the new steady lifestyle, the new career, take your free time and travel your face off! Mmm, free summers!
it is overwhelming to read about all these fabulous adventures people seem to be having! Like you, I sometimes have to take a break from them and gain perspective again.
ReplyDeleteWhat you do have working in your favor now though with a teaching job, is that you still have opportunity for short term trips 2 times a year, with work in between. This makes travel all the more sweet when you get to do it.
Please don't hate. I'm terribly insecure and I can't take it.
ReplyDeleteYou'll find a great balance - it just needs re-calibration as time goes on depending on your priorities. Congrats on the new position (the job, although I suppose the wedding probably qualifies as well).
And thanks for stopping by my silly little corner!
@ Angry Rehead-thanks for the congrats! free summers woohoo!
ReplyDelete@mary-i am so happy to hear that it's not just me!
@joel-no problem, i like your silly little corner ;)
Claire, I totally can relate! This is one of the first times in a while where I haven't had a big trip on the horizon (I have a honeymoon, but not for a year--the only other thing I have planned is a few nights in New Orleans this fall). I'm also so envious reading about all of these other bloggers traveling the world, but I don't have the money (or rather, I'm not willing to sacrifice certain things right now in order to save money, like my gym membership, car, etc.). Keeping up with the Joneses can be depressing...but in the mean time, it's fun to watch the "travel porn," as Gary Arndt likes to say :)
ReplyDeleteBTW, have you considered adding name/URL as a comment option? It would be nice to do that instead of Google or OpenID since not everyone has one of those.
What an honest post. Settling down can be scary, especially with major life changes that can bind you to your home, like a husband and kids. But it's not like you're confined to an iron lung. You can always still get out and travel more. It's a great thing you've already had so many adventures. But with more to come - just a little different.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love "wanderalgia." I'll start using it in my vocbulary, I think.
I stumbled upon ur blog and must say, I enjoyed it a lot.
ReplyDeleteYour wedding photos are very good.
Nope, not with you Claire, sorry - I'm doing it the other way around - started travelling late, and am now worrying about not fitting it all in before I get properly old so it's still about the big adventures for me. I do hope I can start to appreciate the small stuff, but until I lose my job (touch wood), I'll be turning my back on the long weekends and city breaks, and aiming for 2 big trips a year. Congrats on the wedding/job!
ReplyDeletethanks guys for the feedback-it is much appreciated! thanks to emily for the suggestion to add a URL link-done and done.
ReplyDeletesabina-use away!
thanks nisha! glad you enjoyed.
christian-do it. enjoy every moment! better late than never.
I love the way you wrote this post. I hear you. I have many friends who always seem to be travelling the globe, and yet, I'm sure other friends feel the same about me.
ReplyDeleteTurning 30 is always a turning point - psychologically speaking, however, nothing much changes, except you're older. I've been travelling on and off for the past 20 years - some short trips and some very long ones, and through it all, I never give myself deadlines or wish lists. I'm a doer. So once I set my eyes on a destination...it's gonna happen one way or another - now or 20 years from now. I'll be travelling till I drop - marriage or kids won't be a deterrent. They're coming with me.
So, Claire - keep on travelling, just do it wisely, don't go bankrupt doing it. Also, keep in mind, you can always do day trips and drive a few hours away and it feels like you've gone somewhere further.
xoxo
Wow, thank you for a really honest and insightful post. I totally get where you are coming from- I'm about to take off around the world yes, but before that I had two long years of sitting in a cubicle watching everyone else have fun. Ain't easy.
ReplyDeleteThat said, it sounds like despite your lack of travel plans you've got some pretty awesome stuff going on in your life. A new husband and a new job you're excited about are both pretty great things that I wouldn't mind having either. Grass is always greener?
grass always being greener definitely comes into play here i think...happy traveling stephanie and keep us all posted!
ReplyDeletereese-thanks for the pep talk! thankfully, i have certainly learned to appreciate those smaller journeys, especially if it's with someone i love!
You forget that I'm 33 so I also have all of those things. You can still plan, but just make it a bit longer planning - something to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteIn reality I probably planned my RTW for 2 years, one-year to pay off my debt and another to save the money to go. I know you may not be looking to leave for a year but that doesn't mean you can't start planning now for what works for you,
Wanderalgia...brilliant! I have suffered with my share of wanderlust since returning from my trip and sometimes live there for days at a time! But there is always some sort of adventure on the horizon no matter how far out. Come on, you know you have one planned! And, as for turning 30, I can tell you that, at 43, there are plenty of adventures left in me!! Cheers!!
ReplyDeleteHaha, yes I do have something planned Gillian. And I can't wait! Thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteI re-read this post and think I'm developing the same relation with these travel books I've been reading! http://ow.ly/6MMmB
ReplyDeleteI identify with every. single. word. you. said.
ReplyDeleteJuliann:
ReplyDeleteGood. That means I am not alone :)