A few things have changed around here: I am no longer a substitute teacher, single, or living with my parents. What hasn't changed: my love for travel. This teacher loves to see the world!
Friday, November 13, 2009
Does This Sound Like a Vacation to You?
I haven't even left yet, and I am already exhausted. Just pondering the sheer amount of travel we are going to be doing has me dragging. After flying 20 hours to get there, we are going to get up in the morning and travel eight hours by bus back up to the northern part of Tanzania where we will be "safariing." Is that a word? Incidentally, we will have already landed in this area as our first point of entry the night before. However, KLM is being snotty and telling us that we cannot disembark there. Pew on KLM. I have been eagerly anticipating this trip for nine whole months now, but a vacation it is not. Imagine yourself leaving your already hectic life, transporting yourself across the world one Thursday afternoon, awakening Saturday morning in the capital city of an African country, and then hopping on a bus to go meet a jeep that will ferry you around while viewing wild animals that you usually only see on television. Then, keeping up that pace for two hectic weeks while simultaneously attempting to navigate the terrain and the transportation system , plus trying to fend of mosquitoes and other agents of disease every day. Does this sound like fun to you? No? I cannot imagine why not! Yet, it's a slice of heaven to me. I will come back exhausted, but I will also come back happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wondered just what you were going to be doing on this adventure - nope, doesn't sound like a vacation to me!! I got too tired after the 20 hr. flight, then navigating the terrain???? Good grief girl, you certainly have a spirit of adventure!! Just don't wear 'flip-flops' while on the safari - you may need running shoes more than you anticipated!! Seriously though, you are fulfilling what most people just read about. Take it all in - write in your journal, take lots of pictures, and report about it to us all when you get back. My prayers are already with you.
ReplyDeleteI hope you're reading this from some weird internet cafe in a dusty, bustling African city. My husband is jealous, I can promise you that! -Gini P.S. I do not, nor have I ever known anyone named Zachary Glass. Weird.
ReplyDeleteWell if you don't know who zachary glass is, then who does?? did the computer mysteriously assume an identity for you? haha. nope, not in a dusty tanzanian internet cafe just yet. thursday is departure, friday arrival!
ReplyDeleteand thanks for the prayers mrs. ladd-i definitely need them! for some reason, as i have eased into my "old age", i have gotten slightly more anxious as i travel. i am now imagining any number of terrible things that could happen. although, none are terrible enough to stop me from going ;) it's still pure excitment, but tempered with a few morbid thoughts here and there. no more throwing caution to the wind i suppose. siiiigh.
You're going to have a great time... it just seems scary from looking at it on this side. Good trip!
ReplyDelete