Monday, March 15, 2010

A Bosphorus Birthday

It's official, I will be spending some time in Istanbul, Turkey next month. Just got the ticket this past weekend. I am headed there for a long weekend, the kind you usually spend cleaning your closets and staying up late and generally lazing around. Not this time. Nope, I shall head to Turkey to make use of my long weekend. The crazier part about this is that I am doing this.....31 days prior to my wedding. My fiance isn't going with me. This could possibly qualify as insane, or at least prove detrimental to my relationship and/or any hope of a smooth wedding day.

What accounts for this madness you ask? Well, my childhood friend who posesses rather extravagant tastes, has decided that in order to lessen any potential angst associated with turning the big 3-0, he must spend his birthday in Europe. With 10 of his closest friends. Hence, I have christened this mini-vacation "Birthday on the Bosphorus." I really just like saying the word "Bosphorus"-I wasn't even completely sure what or where it was until prior to getting involved in this trip. So, for those of you who may also be Bosphorus ignorant, it is a strait, the world's narrowest used for international navigation and it forms part of the boundary between Europe and Asia. Since we will be in Istanbul, I plan on seeing plenty of the Bosphorus, possibly wading in it (can you even do that?) and pictures will abound in future posts. Bosphorus Bosphorus Bosphorus.

Now, let's get back to the fiance and the smooth wedding day. Truthfully, he is not wild about the idea of me traipsing off once again, so close to our wedding. I mean, really-there aren't too many guys out there who are urging their women to head off to foreign lands a month before they are to marry them, especially if the guy himself isn't even going.  But neither is he making it difficult for me either. After three years together, he knows what makes me happy and he knows that aside from him, travel is darn near at the top of the list. I also attempted to justify it by suggesting that I buy our wedding rings over there because they will be cheaper and the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul has far more of a selection than say, every kiss begins with Kay (jewelers).  However, I don't think he was entirely convinced by this angle of my argument. I just can't imagine why he didn't leap for joy at my thriftiness.
In short, I have a good man. He is not able to come with us, but that doesn't make him any less supportive of me going. A keeper, yes oh yes he is. With a honeymoon coming up, two trips for him simply just is not feasible. Darn that real job! Living the life of a substitute teacher these last six years has ensured that I just don't fully get "asking for time off." What is the meaning of all that nonsense?! If I don't want to work, I don't! If I want to go somewhere on a weekday, or for a month, I do! I will say that I am a little glum that he won't be coming with us. But if he came on this trip, he can't go on our honeymoon. And what's a honeymoon without a husband?

Ok, so maybe my wedding rings mission isn't entirely legitimate. However, if I am going to be a real Social Studies teacher (and I am going to be certified, as of next month....FINALLY!), I have to know about as much of our wonderful world as possible right? I feel the best way to become acquainted with the world is to visit its far-flung reaches, its well-known icons, its quirky islands, and its magnificent cities. The list goes on. It's my job to make the world come alive for my students, one country at a time. And by my last count, I have about 165 to conquer before I become the best Social Studies teacher EVER.  There-now if that doesn't justify the whole shabang, then I don't know what will.  We'll call it....lesson planning .

6 comments:

  1. I loved this...
    I heard this trip was in the works many months ago. So glad to see that it's actually gonna happen. Can't wait to read all about it. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this posting is too hilarious! I didn't know what "bosphorous" meant before. Thank you for passing on this knowledge.

    Also, let me agree with you and say you do have a wonderful fiance for letting you go off a month before your wedding. But, you do have a compelling argument about being able to save money on rings there.

    p.s. Also, I think it's fab that you're going to be officially a Social Studies teacher! It was my only favourite and best subject in school. So, yes! You gotta go to Turkey and do some lesson planning! :-))

    Have a great trip....can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you enjoyed claire...more to come ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. no problem reese, passing on knowledge is just part of my daily routine...albeit usually to middle schoolers. ;) but hey, clearly we never stop learning! i feel much geographically wiser now that I know about the world's narrowest strait. it will surely come in handy when watching Jeopardy one night. thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I sit here shaking my head, I can only say to have a great time. I am presuming that the childhood friend is Rod - that ought to be a real fun time. And yes, Adam is a keeper. He sure must have great security in his relationship with you - so glad he chose to go on the honeymoon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, yup, it's rod :) who else would need to celebrate on a different continent??!!

    ReplyDelete