Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vegas, Here We Come! (oh and Grand Canyon---comin' for you too....)

Our honeymoon is now three days away and we are both pretty darn excited. First time to Vegas and Grand Canyon for both of us, and actually, first extended trip together, period. We went to Chicago for a few fabulous days last summer, but we were in a giant herd of friends and annoying people. This time it's just the two of us. Insert cute song here.  After months of research and price-checking, we decided on dates (June 29-July 6), hotel (Bally's on the Strip), vehicle (top-down Jeep) and another hotel for when we get to Arizona and the Canyon (The Lodge on Rt. 66). Lots of decisions.

After two days in Vegas, we will ride with the open road out to Williams, Arizona and this will be our spot for the next few days while we explore the Canyon, Sedona, and Flagstaff. I can't think of many things more nostalgic then spending the 4th of July in a small town in the southwest,  off Rt. 66, no less. Am I more excited about this, or the giant barbecue that will be held while we are there? That, my friends, is a tough one. You all know how I long for and rhapsodize over food. See my post about Austin, Texas if there is any confusion. And speaking of food! Have you guys ever utilized Restaurant.com for some serious discounts? It's either the world's biggest scam and my bank account is being depleted even as I write this, or the best-kept secret. Right now, if you visit the website and use the promo code "summer," you can order a $25 gift certificate to certain Vegas restaurants and pay $2. My eyes were as big as saucers when I found this deal. Clearly, I let all that excitement get to my head because I promptly ordered $100 worth of coupons (paid $8) and then realized you can only use one per visit in a month. So now I have just gone and wasted $6 which sort of defeats the entire purpose of saving money.  Perhaps I should learn to temper my frugality with some fine print.  Aah well, maybe I can find some other kindred soul on the streets of Vegas and give it to them.

Then off to Williams in our rented Jeep. This is the husband's one "must-have" of the entire trip and so top-down Jeep ride we shall enjoy! I sort of orchestrated everything else on the honeymoon and so the man needs to have one thing he picked out. And by "sort of" I mean that essentially, all plans have been made by me. He is fine with that and well, let's face it, I am too.

I think we will have plenty to occupy our time this week and even more importantly, I think it's gonna be great. Just me and him, exploring a little Southwest together.

Taking any and all suggestions for things to definitely do, and things to definitely avoid. We are Virgin Vegasers. I could go some many places with the previous sentence, but I will keep this all G-rated for ya. Hey!- as a newly married woman, I've got jokes.

5 comments:

  1. You're going to be in our neck of the woods! We spent a few romantic days in Sedona after one of Lee's deployments. Gorgeous! Hiking is the thing to do there, but I'm sure your guide book has already told you that. We loved the Devil's Bridge hike and Oak Creek Canyon. You can do both in the same day. Flagstaff is on our list of to-do's while stationed out here. We've spent nights there during both of our x-country moves, but haven't visited for pleasure. I've got an awesome magazine article of stuff to do in Flagstaff, but if you fall in love with something in particular, let me know!
    Have so much fun and congrats again!!! Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I to assume that the "top-down jeep" also has a "top-up?" If you have never before experienced the gorgeous sun there, your top-down adventure may turn you into a french fry!! But then again, you ARE on your honeymoon, so none of that stuff will bother you!! Your faithful blog readers anticipate your southwest adventure stories. I am sure you will have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of the first trips we took as husband and wife was also Vegas/Grand Canyon. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire-we went to Oak Creek Canyon yesterday and went swimming at Slide Rock. SO gorgeous-def not something we are used to seeing in the great WV. Flagstaff is definitely a cool little town and very chill. Would have liked to spend more time there. Williams, where we are staying, is a cute little town, complete with nightly Wild West shoot-outs starting promptly at 7.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Ladd-our top down adventure lasted approximately 10 minutes. With temps reaching 113, I think this was wise :0)

    ReplyDelete