Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Sedona Sunglasses Incident

I have a good man for a husband, and you will note this by the series of photos below. To give a little background, another honeymoon adventure was a side trip to  Slide Rock State Park, just outside of Sedona, Arizona. If you have never been there, this  area is famed for its red rocks, its vortexes, and its rough, but unique landscape.

Slide Rock is is a swim/walk/navigate at your own risk kind of park. There are LOTS of rocks, more rocks than water it seems. As a result, the terrain is slightly dangerous. Beautiful, but certainly not complying with any OSHA standards. Just getting down into the water proves to be an exercise in acrobatics and I feel that perhaps I may need a stunt double. Plus, I am wearing my brand new swimsuit which I am not about to ruin. Once in though, the water is so cool and refreshing and we elect to just sit in it and enjoy. Then we saw all these kids leaping into the water from a huge rock above and decide  to get a better view.

There is one point in our maneuvering around the rocks in the water that it becomes necessary to contort my body into a circus shape and attempt to squeeze around an extremely large boulder. Below is water and more rocks. The ledge to squeeze around is barely big enough for the width of one foot, especially one clad in a flip-flop. Which brings me to an important side point: Why in heaven's name can I not ever find more appropriate footwear for these perilous situations? First the Andes Mountains in Ecuador, then that monster hill in Istanbul, now this.  If we fall, we are going home with a nasty bruise, gash, head wound, or broken limb. Maybe all of the above. It is at this point that I decide to take off my sunglasses so that they do not fall of my head in all the maneuvering-because of course, sunglasses are priority in any dangerous ledge situation.  And it is at this point that I forget about them and leave them there.

After spending part of the afternoon watching small children and teenagers hurl themselves into the air, miraculously bobbing to the surface unscathed, it's time to go. It is only after we navigate the boulders, climb the steep bank, and cross the hot rocks, that I realize....I no longer have my sunglasses. I look at Adam. He looks at me. I don't even have to ask. He turns around to revisit the path from whence he came. I decided to make good use of  the wait  and document his journey.

The sunglasses, snug in their spot on the ledge

Creeper


At this point, he may be wondering how he got stuck with me

Success! But that means one handed rock-climbing

I was waiting for him to fall here

Or here

Contemplating the route back to his lovely wife

 Me, amusing myself with my shadow while I wait

 I wish I could say one of these girls was me. But nope.

4 comments:

  1. You need those shoes that look like feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those things are somewhat hideous! i saw them just yesterday on an unfortunate soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beats bleeding-out on some forsaken, jagged ridge for want of proper footwear.

    I hear good things about them, seriously. I may get a pair myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only you had a camera crew with you to document the perils of this journey. I did notice Adam's appropriate footwear - Claire, perhaps you could find something similar??!! And yes, he proved to be a good man by not only retrieving your sunglasses, but actually RETURNING TO YOU!!! LOL Another great story -

    ReplyDelete