Friday, September 10, 2010

Life as a Newly Minted Grown Up

Hello all, checking in for a moment.
I just have to say.....I am EXHAUSTED. So much for my love/hate relationship with your travel blog. This whole full-time job thing leaves me with barely enough time greet my new husband, let alone salivate over the adventures of blogging buddies. Oh I definitely try though. I turn on my computer first thing every morning to do a quick perusal of the night before and start to get sucked into my Google reader. That is, until the soft whisper of ungraded papers turns into a nagging scream. And if it's not the ungraded papers it's the lesson plans. And if it's not the lesson plans, it's the photocopying. If it's not the photcopying, it's the endless round of meetings I must attend. Geeeezzzz!!! Bring on the life of a substitute! In and out, a carefree jaunt in my step all the way.

Ok, but then I wouldn't be experiencing the satisfaction of an effective lesson plan, a happy student, or another Friday indicating the end of a good week. Exhausted? fo sho...Happy? Most def-minus the fact that breathing has now become second priority to lesson planning.

As for adventures on the horizon, there are a few loose plans in the works. You all know I can only work and salivate over OPTB (other people's travel blogs) for so long.

In another happy news, I threatened every single student with implied mutation and dismemberment if there was ever any misbehavior for a substitute teacher in my classroom. Six years in this virtually thankless position has made me slightly manic on this subject. Clearly, they took me and my not-so-vague threats seriously-I had my first sub the other day and she marveled at their behavior. Granted, the sub was my mother, who rules with almost as much of an iron fist as I do. But still! They behaved wonderfully, and for that, I am happy. Also on the plus side, I get respect much easier now that I am a real teacher. Oh, I had respect before, but it came as a by-product of the aforementioned iron fist and holding the title of Queen "B."   And who really enjoys that?

Alright, secretly I enjoyed it at times. Substitute teachers are supposed to be mean and I took my job seriously. If I had a dollar for every time a kid commented on the fact that I never smile, well, I would be on a RTW right now! For a humorous, yet accurate, portrayal of my illustrious career of choice prior to now, check out this Washington Post article by a guy who opted to become a sub to fill in the gaps of his employment. Minus the pay rate (subs in WV actually get paid fairly decently) he is pretty spot on.

But that is all in the past.   I have a steady paycheck, retirement, and a real profession. Now if only I could command my house into cleanliness as I once commanded a room full of unruly students.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that Mrs. Webb isn't as mean as Miss Gibson was! I had some of your middle schoolers in bible club and you're right - they said you "NEVER" SMILED AND THAT YOU HATED THEM!! But control that bad behavior you must - sounds like you have reigned them in. Now when you get that house cleaning command down pat - let me know, would ya???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your teaching this year. I taught for years and years before we moved here, and I still get that jittery nervous feeling at the beginning of each school year. I remember that feeling of being busy busy, but also the excitement...

    So, what's your loose travel plan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always fun and interesting to read your posts Claire. You described life as a teacher very accurately. I teach English as a foreign language and it's pretty similar in terms of classroom management. In my opinion, there's not much discipline going on in this country. It's good to get a different perspective.

    p.s. very cool that your mom was the sub teacher in your class.

    Have a brilliant week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! As for my loose travel plans, well, they are so loose, there isn't even a destination yet. Just a period of time to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If you kids don't behave for Ms. Thorpe while I'm gone, some of you will be undergoing permanent changes in your genes' DNA sequences, if you know what I'm sayin'."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Btw, Your Mom's name is now Ms. Thorpe.

    ReplyDelete