I don't think I have worked a full 5 day work week since before Christmas. It's always something weather related. Today, it happens to be ice which never quite materialized. Either way, I am loving my new full-time career because I get to stay at home and do absolutely nothing and....still get paid! Here's the thing-for the last 6 years, I have bemoaned the winter weather because it usually meant that I wouldn't get paid. As a sub, no school=no work=no paycheck. Last year was particularly agonizing because there was two straight weeks of no school at one point. This year, I am just kicking up my heels and living the good life.
If you consider staying at home eating and watching Dr. Phil, House Hunters International, and How I Met Your Mother reruns, the good life.
I've done nothing productive at all. I haven't even thought productive thoughts.
Anyway, update on Spain: I found a place for us to stay, which was no small feat. I feel sometimes when I am on the hunt for a place to lay my head, that I have these grand dreams of the Ritz on a Super 8 budget. Or that I am looking for a spouse or something. For example, I pored over countless reviews, websites, and features of what seemed like every guesthouse and hostel in Madrid. But they just didn't feel right. I actually told myself that I would know when the right one came along-as if it was my soulmate or something. Regardless, I found "the one" and we will be on hand to check it out in person in just a few weeks. Woohoo. It even fit the budget perfectly, and was LESS than expected. There may be hope for this euro virgin yet!
I also am currently running a contest with my students. I have titled it "Where Will Mrs. Wahoo Wander?" (No, that's not really my last name and not the actual title either). I give them clues every day about the location of my trip and they get to guess as many times as they like. Winner gets a prize straight from Spain. The clues so far:
1) I must cross an ocean to get there
2) I have never been there (I usually like to regale them with one or two travel stories a month, so if they are actually listening to me, they know where I have already been. Listening is questionable at times.)
3) This country is 5-7 times zones ahead of the US. (Come on now, I can't make it too easy. )
4. This country spends the euro.
Thankfully, for their geography and knowledge of world time clocks and currency, all guesses are now centering around Europe.
They seem to be having great fun with it, and that's what it's really all about it, so perhaps there will be presents a la Madrid for all 115 of them.
Oh euro, please be kind.

your posts always make me happy, mrs wohoo
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like such a fun game for the students and still very educational!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the weather! I hope it lets up for you soon, so you can get back to work! However, isn't it fun just to watch all those mind numbing shows too! .-)
awww thanks zablon ;)
ReplyDeleteand reese, i am back at work today and i am actually pretty happy about it! i can only take so much mind-numbing non-productiviness.
I love snow days, but I have to say I'm happy to be missing the Canadian winter this year.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see where you stay in Madrid.
we are NOT bringing back 115 presents!! i know you're excited about the market but i'm going to have to rein you in on this one!
ReplyDeleteBut if we find a reeeaaaallly good deal?? Don't dash my dreams Bernard, the children are counting on me!!
ReplyDeleteSure hope none of your "115" read your blog or you will be toting back some goodies for all!
ReplyDeleteNo, definitely not. I certainly do not want the eyes of 115 reading my every move!
ReplyDeletewell, if they all happen to guess Spain, you could get them an edible gift..like spanish candies! :)
ReplyDeletei have an idea - when i come to visit, maybe i can visit you at one of your school too, and then i can provide them with a clue?! that'd be so fun! :) then i can tell them what mrs. wahoo is like when she travels! haha :) or when she doesn't eat!
oh suby, they already know what mrs. wahoo is like when she doesn't eat. they spend every single day with me, and i don' get to eat two lunches anymore. so they are QUITE aware!
ReplyDelete