That's right. I didn't get enough.
| Our first venture to Plaza Mayor |
**Ssshhh-don't tell my students***
I think I will save that for another post, because it truly bothers me.
Anyway, Madrid was awesome. I loved it. My first real venture into a western European country was a success-despite the pesky euro. Turns out, we picked a superb time to go due to the annual rebajas being enjoyed by Spaniards and tourists alike. Rebajas means "sales" and I do love a good sale. It made my obligatory foreign country shoe and handbag purchase much easier to swallow.
Aside from that though, Madrid is quite the vibrant city. We were able to enjoy it sans the hordes of summer tourists and the accompanying tourist prices.It seems Spaniards just love to be out and about...all the time. Even the rain didn't dampen the spirits of los madrilenos-the one rainy day boasted plenty of locals coming and going, umbrellas in hand.
| Trusty 'ole Blue. Breakfast of Champions |
Party? I was lucky to make it to 9 p.m most nights. I will place the majority of the blame on the time change, the short trip, and the miles and miles of walking every day, but I also know that I can't just roll into another country anymore and have a spring in my step without proper time to rest and adjust.
| More Plaza Mayor. Can you ever have enough Plaza? |
Regardless of the octogenarian shuffle, Madrid was stunning and I am lucky to have gone. I just want more.
What about you? Ever been to a place that when you left, you felt like you weren't quite done being there yet?
(Speaking of wanting more, there will be more on Spain. However, I am currently experiencing a bad combo of writing lethargy and no time)
Well, have been waiting for this post my dear - wasn't sure when you'd get back. So glad you had a wonderful time. No, you don't sound 80 - you just FELT like it!!
ReplyDeleteIf I had my druthers, I would spend as much time as I could in Israel - THAT was home to me. Things over in that region are a tad shaky these days, but if God wants me there - I'M READY TO GO!!
When I started traveling I also went to bed at 9pm, so normal as walking around all day is exhaustingé
ReplyDeleteMadrid sounds wonderful... going home at 9pm that's what we do when we're traveling too. Sightseeing is exhausting!
ReplyDeleteI'd like to think that we're getting a preview of our retirement would be like. A day of exhaustive lounging around and sight seeing, a nice early dinner, and going to bed by 10 pm :p
Oh that kind of retirement sounds lovely!
ReplyDeleteOh how I know how you feel about wanting more. I felt that way leaving Argentina after a quick 10 day trip. Barely enough time to scratch the surface and we never even made it to Patagonia to climb a glacier.
ReplyDeleteI've never been to Madrid. Maybe when we're living on the east coast. Hey, if you ever want a travel partner, I'm game! (especially since I share the octogenarian shuffle!)
I agree...Madrid is a great place to visit. It was one of my favourite places to visit in Spain. I definitely choose Madrid over Barcelona any day.
ReplyDeleteI want to go back to ever place I visit .-)).
Mary-I am always down for the Octogenarian shuffle!
ReplyDeleteI would love to go to Madrid. I have never been to Spain at all. My favorite European city is Venice. I've been there twice and can't get enough. Plus there's so many islands nearby to explore. I think I could live there.
ReplyDelete