Nicaragua it is!
Me, my trusty new passport with my trusty new name, and my backpack, are jaunting off to Nicaragua next month to spend some quality time in Granada volunteering with La Esperanza Granada, an organization/volunteer group focusing on the education of children.
Now, before I go any further, the title to this post is in fact a direct play on the ever popular Jay-Z and his well-known anthem "Jigga What, Jigga Who."
Just wanted to clarify for those of you may be less than enthused when it comes to hip-hop.
According to urban dictionary, the definition for this jiggy expression is:
"perplexed exclamation denoting confusion or suprise in reaction to another party's previous statement or action."
Which.........just so happens to be the very same reaction I've been getting from some as I have begun to share my plans with friends and strangers alike. "But aren't you married? What does your husband think? How can you go away that long? Is he going with you?"
People! Did my life end when I got married? Am I not allowed to travel anywhere now that I have a husband? Am I just supposed to be a happy housewife, dutifully making dinner and cleaning the house? (I totally do both of those things, by the way. Seriously. Just made an extremely tasty dinner last night. If my travel blog doesn't catapult me to success, maybe a dinner blog will). Does a month or so apart make us forget what each other looks like? A month is not going to do anything 'cept make the heart grow fonder.
Thankfully, those responses have been minimal. Most people, including the husband himself, have been quite supportive.
Since he is really the only person who counts, as of about a month from now, I am dusting off ye olde backpack, hopping on a flight to Managua, followed by a bus to Granada. When I get there, I will be fulfilling yet another travel dream.
Can't wait.
i'm just jealous! :) but i think nica is a good nickname for you! btw, is this your first trip ALONE? from what i'm remembering and what you've written, i think you've always been with at least 1 or more friends or group or church members, or visiting someone you know at your travel destination...if this is actually your first trip alone, i'm so excited and, if possible, even more jealous of your courage! :)
ReplyDeletemy tip to remember: .when all else fails, buy cheese!
yes ma'am it IS my first trip alone. slightly nervous, but I think it will turn out amazing the end ;)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Nicaragua, one of my favourite countries in the whole wide world :)
ReplyDeleteBut go back through my posts and read them as there are a few well known tricks thieves use to rob you.
Nothing happened to me at all, beautiful people - except in Managua - even all the Nicas hate Managua.
Theglobetrottergirls.com also have lots of really good posts on Nicaragua and loved it as much as me.
Haha - yes, it's a good thing you can still travel after you get married ;) And this is the first time I've seen your new thme. I like it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sabina!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to hearing about your trip to Nicaragua Claire! And no, life doesn't stop when you get married, it just gets better because you have someone who wants to share it with you and wants you to be happy! :-))
ReplyDeleteSo true Reese! Glad you are back in motion and feeling better btw...
ReplyDeleteAyngelina, I will definitely check out that site.
Glad you like the new theme Sabina! I do too. Change is good.
Very cool!!!
ReplyDelete