Thursday, June 23, 2011

I´m a Survivor!

(Think: Destiny´s Child or Reba McEntire, whatever your musical preference).

The first week is just about to wrap up and I have survived.

What have I survived? Let us count the ways.

1. A false mugging: A bird landed on my head in Parque Central and I thought I was being mugged. Because he chose my head as a landing strip from behind, I could not see it was a bird, and was sure that after all these years of trouble free traveling, my time had come and  I was about to lose all my stuff. I let out a small shriek, but instantly realized it was a bird and attempted to contain myself so the locals would not think I was crazy.

2. Texting while driving: My taxi driver chose the most crowded street in all of Granada, to carry on a lengthy text message conversation. He did so while never looking at the road, bobbing and weaving around other cars, wild dogs, stray children, and large buses.

3. A less than clean house:  I have officially survived four nights in one of the more ummm....gross hostel type places I have ever stayed in. More on that later.

4. Going the wrong direction: I wanted to find a specific church that was mentioned in Blue for its colorful facade and the museum within. I pored over my map, looked at it from all angles, studied it once more for good measure, and feeling confident, began walking in the wrong direction.

Yes,  I walked the complete opposite direction for 5 blocks only to find out that the landmark was literally behind my house.

5. Several meals alone: no big deal.

6. One bout of loneliness: As I am sure there will be some more of these, I will just have to get over them. It vanished when I went to school and started working with the kids. Imagine that!

7. The weekend: ???? I must leave this one with a question mark. Not sure how survival will go. I had two choices for my weekend activities-go to the beach with the college girls who are all a decade younger than me and are ready to paaaaaaaaartaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy. OR go to Isla de Ometepe with the Europeans, at least one of whom likes to indulge in a little herb.

I chose the herb lovin´ Europeans. I don´t think I can hang with the college crowd anymore, at least not without an ally. As for the herb, I have been just saying no to drugs for quite some time now, it will be fine. Plus, an island with two volcanoes towering over it and pristine beaches? Can´t beat it.

It´s been a good week, one with mixed emotions, new experiences, and old memories all coinciding together.

Would you have chosen the party lovin´ college girls or the herb lovin´ Europeans?

12 comments:

  1. claire - I'm so proud of you! you have survived! and i'm sure the trip will only get better...and easier! :) i love your posts - keep on writing!

    as for which wknd trip, i think i also wouldve chosed the europeans..you get volcanoes AND beach, and NO silly girls! bc we are def not silly girls either! :) not usually anyway right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - the latter crowd; definitely =) We always choose chill people and destinations over the crazy ones these days.

    Loved your "survival" list - we've had some close encounters this week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I am back now and definitely glad I made the decision to hang with the Europeans. MOre on that later! Andrea, I agree with you, chill is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would've chosen the Euros too. Way too old for college Partying and Euros are interesting anyway.

    Love the bird story. I wonder if you were on top of the same church we took pics from on our trip. My friend Kami spliced together a really cool panoramic of all of Granada from the bell tower...I can't remember the name though, it was the main church in the city I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your take on what travelling is really like...not the "ho hum" type of holidays, but the really gritty stuff. Glad the bird was just a bird and not a mugger, I've had one too many of those experiences myself. Just got pissed by a bird last week or so...apparently in Italy it's a good luck sign. And can't wait to hear about the hostel. And I'm way too old for the college crowd now, so definitely would have gone with the Europeans. Sound choice, I think!

    p.s. thanks for your advice on the list! You're so right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana, just went up to the belltower the other day. Iglesia de Merced I believe.
    Reese, I definitely made the right decision, making new friends in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh at the bird on your head thing - I totally would have thought the same! Are you headed to Guatemala or Costa Rica at all?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan, I am probably staying put in Nicaragua, but you never know. We have a week off of school in July and things could happen. Is that where you are right now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a pretty eventful week. I love having memorable weeks while traveling - whether the memories are all good or not. Having stuff happen is one of the reasons we travel, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a similarly scary drive with a driver who was texting like crazy while dodging cars in crowded city streets. Only it was in Baltimore. And not in a cab. And Dana was driving. That was the first day Dana and I ever met, and we have been ubiquitous ever since. Perhaps you and this cabbie shall too connect?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Karlos, he did in fact try to go to the beach with me this weekend. But I had to decline his self invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sabina, so true. If stuff never happened, we would not have much to write about!

    ReplyDelete