Never in my life have I witnessed unparalled beauty, splendor, and raw majesty in nature. Truly humbling. The vistas of the Ngorongoro Crater are magnificent, testament to the work of a Creator. Quietly observing the rhythm of routine was a privilege that I may never encounter again.
My favorite part? Watching the Discovery Channel unfold in front of my eyes as two cheetahs, slinking through the grass, stalked a giant herd of wildebeests and a smattering of zebras. They were trying to play it cool-advancing a few yards and then frolicking and rolling around as if they were merely out for a stroll and not their lunch. The intent to kill was obvious to all who were watching, but not to the happily munching herbivores.
Inexplicably, the cheetahs gave up after a time and stalked back towards us. This was good for our cameras and of course, the wildebeests. I actually found myself a bit disappointed though. My heart had been pounding, wondering if I was going to see the circle of life in action. My disappointment caused me to ponder just exactly how I went from "accidentally" letting fish go uncaught when fishing with Adam, to hoping to see blood and gore on the Crater floor. How is this even possible? I attribute it to the heat of the moment....when in Africa, do as they do. Or something. Those cheetahs were things of beauty-sleek bodies and proud faces. Later, a faint rainbow peeking through the mist solidified my contentment with this adventure. Oh, what a wonderful world!
I have been waiting for this post -sounds like you had a marvelous time. Hope you will post more about it when you catch your breath!
ReplyDelete