I'm back from marriage and all that good stuff ;)
You know it's going to be an eventful trip when a random Turkish man offers 125 camels, 7,000 sheep, and his jacket in exchange for one of your fellow female travelers. Yes, this actually happened. We were sitting in Sultanahmet Square, relaxing, enjoying the view of the Blue Mosque, when Terra apparently struck Turk's fancy. The man was persistent, I'll give him that. At first it was just the 125 camels he offered-a proposal at which we scoffed. (Surely she's worth at least twice that amount. ha!) When Turk realized we were not down with the 125 camels, he threw in the sheep. I think he sensed his prize slipping away. Throwing in his jacket for last desperate measure, I assume he truly believed that we would actually be persuaded to give up poor Terra in return for a Noah's ark of smelly livestock animals and one nondescript men's jacket. Although........such an exchange wouldhave likely made us extremely wealthy by Turkish standards. Hmmmm. Camels and sheep don't appeal to me though. Now, if he had offered a few Turkish rugs and a lifetime supply of Turkish baklava, I might be writing a different Turkish story. Have you ever in your life had chocolate baklava??
A. Maz. Ing. A scene was almost created over the sheer deliciousness of this dessert.
Oh fine. I wouldn't really have let my friend go for mere household goods and a sweet treat. But seriously, eat some chocolate baklava while reclining on a sumptuous rug. You too might be tempted.
(just kidding Terra!)
Here is the chocolate baklava in all of its glory. Below that is a photo of me acting the part of tourist in the Square, behind is the Blue Mosque.

Ok Claire - I know you are a good cook, so whip up some chocolate bakalava and, well, you know where I live!!!
ReplyDeleteI am SO curious to hear a story about someone who actually does decide to get married for a dowry like that, hahaha. That's an adventure. Next time, go for it...just for my own personal entertainment.
ReplyDelete(Candice from candicedoestheworld.com)
i agree--wouldn't that be something if we just let her go? and ps-that was her first time out of the country so that would have been quite the story for her. Mrs. Ladd-I actually live about 2 miles past you now ;)
ReplyDeleteTHE COFFEE ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES TO BREW - COME BY ANYTIME -I'LL TRY TO BE HOME THIS TIME!
ReplyDeleteGLAD TO BE SORT OF NEIGHBORS!!!
Claire, I'm still waiting to read all about your wedding!!
ReplyDeleteWhen can I read it?
Also, in answer to your question, blogging is hard work - equalling many hours of reading other blogs and commenting on them. Commenting and following the blogs that you like and admire are key - I think. However, the larger blogs with huge followings don't comment or follow back...not always, but generally speaking. I think they're just too busy.
I hope that helps....feel free to email me.
xoxo
hi reese! the wedding update is coming...i promise! i am in the midst of moving and we don't have internet yet. i am working on a post for the blog, then the wedding update will come ;) no worries, though, you shall have it! and mrs. ladd-you are also welcome to stop by anytime. no coffee at my house, but will chocolate milk do?
ReplyDelete