Yes, I know I just turned 30. But this is so much more monumental. This is my 50th blog post! Waaaaaay back at #1 (click here) , #50 seemed a dream. I know some bloggers like to celebrate at 100, but I am quite content with 50. Here is the long of the short:
It all began over a grumpy summer. As a substitute teacher, summers often turned grumpy and dismal. Why?
No steady cash flow=alot of angst.
My friend Karl had quite enough one day of my aforementioned grumpiness and said I need to stop talking and start writing. I pondered. I decided I had nothing better to do, so I put fingers to keyboard and blog post #1 was born.
49 posts later, I am happily plugging along. You know what I discovered? I like to write and even more, I like the feeling of productivity I have while writing and the sense of accomplishment after. It's like I just cleaned the house or something. Only the house is not nearly as clean as it would be if I actually cleaned it.
Along the way I have developed a writing style, preserved some stories for posterity, ranted a little, and ultimately, have realized how blessed I am to have stepped foot outside of my world and experienced a taste of life as the rest of the world lives it.
But here is the real focal point of this post..YOU! Would I still write this blog without people reading and commenting? Hmmm.....probably. I like writing too much now to stop. But would it be nearly as interesting? Fun? Engaging? Nope. I like to read your comments, your reactions to my story/thought process. I feel like I have a few friends in random places around the world now, except I just haven't met them. So without further ado, and in no particular order, I would like to give a few props to a few people who have read my stuff, commented, or whose stuff I read regularly. Without you all, I would just be, well......writing a blog and then reading it. Alone.
First up is Reese over at Rambles with Reese. She is living in Italy and her honest insights and variety of postings keep plenty of readers coming back.
Then we have Mary (who just started a cooler version of her old blog :) over at World Curious Traveler. She has got plenty of experience to draw from, ranging from Peace Corps in Namibia to life in Japan, where she currently calls home.
Candice of Candice Does the World just makes me laugh. Really, don't waste time. Just go there and see for yourself.
Sabina is a Solo Female Traveler who writes some pretty darn good (true) stories. I particularly enjoyed her 3 part tale of the Jerusalem jeweler.
Then there is Emily at Maiden Voyage, who is always finding cool travel contests to enter and is nice enough to share them with us! She is getting married soon, so be nice to her.
Ayngelina at the quirkily named ( in a good way) Bacon is Magic is currently traipsing about Central and South America, firing off short and sweet posts AND pics on everything from delicious vegetarian food, to some amazing salsa dancing she recently encountered in Columbia. Good stuff.
And to my awesome group of friends and family members who faithfully follow and read...Thanks!
Now, although the above are in no random order, I do need to reserve two special spots for two special readers. Gayle has known me since I was an angst-ridden teenager, who was sure her life was the worst EVER. Gayle has been a faithful reader and encourager and I am so grateful to have her in my life.
Last but not least, there is Adam, also referred to sporadically as "husband." He also reads faithfully and although he doesn't comment, retains the information for future use. For example, I balked at traipsing through the woods with him the other day to find his tree stand (he is a hunter). I used the age old excuse-"But I don't have proper shoes on!" He was pretty quick with the comeback--- "Whatever," he scoffed. "You can traipse around South American mountains in flip-flops, so I think you can handle the woods."
Touche.
Thanks for mentioning my new blog! Like you, writing is such a creative outlet for me that I just seem to... need!
ReplyDeleteIt's also way more fun when there's interaction with other people through the comments. Wouldn't it be cool if we really got to meet each other one day?
Congratulations on your 50th post Claire! It is always a challenge to write something and put it out there, and I sincerely enjoy reading all your posts. You communicate through your tales a sense of humour, fun, self-deprecation and sincerity. Also, I feel the same way regarding how you feel when you blog. I enjoy the writing and the sense of accomplishment derived from it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for mentioning me. It really makes me happy when I've touched and connected with someone that I haven't met. I would definitely say you are one of my favourite blogger friends :-)). And yes, I agree Mary has a great travel blog and I will definitely check out all the other blogs you mentioned as well.
Keep on writing!!!
xo
thanks ladies.....friends! and yes, it would be so very cool to meet one day. never say never. ;)
ReplyDeleteAwww, thank you for the mention! And congrats on your "100th" post. Here's to many more....
ReplyDeleteAwww, thank you for the mention! And congrats on your "100th" post. Here's to many more....
ReplyDeleteOh thanks for mentioning me! You always write the nicest comments on my blog and they really make my day.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to your 50th post and here's to many more!
thanks again everyone...it wouldn't be the same without ya ;)
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to have you inh my life too - see, I TOLD YOU things would work out and just look how happy you are!!
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful writer - full of great descriptions of what you see and experience in this world and wrap it all up with a great sense of humor. Keep it up - we need your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!