Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I'm a Virgin....."Euro"peanly Speaking

As you already know from my last post, I am headed to Spain for a mini-vacation in a few months. What you don't know is this will be my first foray in the world of the euro.

I hate the euro.

Why?

Two reasons-wait, actually three.

1. At Amsterdam's Schiphol airport last year, I developed a serious need for a McDonald's Filet-o-Fish sandwich. I was on a layover from Tanzania and I had been eating goat and rice for two weeks. However tasty those items may be, I really just wanted tons of tartar sauce slathered atop a hot bun. Total cost of my sandwich, companion's sandwich, bottled water and fries to share? $27 US DOLLARS!! Yeah, I am still pretty miffed about it a year later. WHO SPENDS $27 AT McDONALDS?? Since I am already veeeery frugal by nature, this was an outrageous injustice. I wanted to choke the employee and any other nearby Europeans, but I refrained.

2.  I was at a hostel in Beijing when I overheard a conversation between two Europeans (speaking English) in the next room.  Actually, it was more squealing and shrieking than conversing. They were fairly giddy over the exchange rate of the yuan to the euro. Phrases like "This was nearly free!" and "This would cost 3x as much at home!" were bandied about and right then and there I knew I was not cut out for Euro spending countries. Granted, I bought my fair share of knock-offs and other important Chinese souvenirs, but the buying process was never without haggling and walking away. On repeat. These girls simply smirked at me when I casually injected myself into their conversation to ask if they had bargained the prices down at all. I took that as a
" Why would we need to do that when we have practically stolen these items to begin with?"

Which brings me to my final reason of hating the Euro.

3.  This currency has been the single most preventive reason I have not seen any of the things I dream to see-the Colisseum, a Greek island (any which one will do) the fjords of Norway, the Portuguese coast, or the concentration camps in Germany (is that weird? I will say no since I am a social studies teacher).  I can't afford Europe! I was in the Czech Rpublic before it was on the euro and Istanbul last May, while partially in Europe, is still lovingly spending the lira.


 I guess I've only been to first base in Europe.

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, Europe is way, way too expensive. It always has been. Hopefully, hopefully some day the Euro will crumble and I can go again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you on all points, but about number one.. Do remember that anything being sold at an airport is already more much expensive than usual! Fast food included. The fact that it was euro just made it worse :P
    I hate eating at airports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent spent a lot of time in Europe for the same reason - so expensive!

    and the Euro is on its way to crumbling, that may be good for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a euro virgin too....haven't even been to first base! (besides being your companion sandwich in amsterdam!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so hear you Claire. I've been here almost two years now....and I still subconsciously do the currency exchange for most products, except for food. It makes me cringe how much I spend here for products including gas. The worst thing is the wages are incredibly low here for the average teacher and other good to honest trades. Last summer when I was in Sweden and Denmark, I received my credit card bill and realized I had spent just under $12 for a grande latte.

    Have a Super Lovely Christmas!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the woe of the wallet!! Doubt there are any "cheapies" left - you've been to them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm....that does not make me feel much better reese! better start grinning and bearing it now. hopefully the fact that it is winter will be in our favor.
    ayngenlina-if the euro could crumble before february, it would be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAha! Another euro virgin here!!Down under in Australia there's also maniacally expensive airport fast food and wildly fluctuating exchange rates, so maybe I can have the same fun without the euro stuff ...

    Happy travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! I don't have too much experience with the euro, but I remember thinking Britain was a complete overpriced rip off years ago!

    Maybe I'm used to the crazy prices of the world now that I live in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Part of me wanting to live in the UK and earn Pounds was that its pretty much the best currency to be in your wallet. Everywhere else its worth more, especially when you compare it to my beloved aussie dollar.

    I travelled europe for a bit over 2 months and while I haven't done the sums yet, you can do it cheap if you watch your budget.

    Sure some parts are expensive (hello sweden) but currently its the cheapest its ever been so I say just get out there and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that is definitely encouraging Chris! Otherwise, I may be sticking to the cheapo countries after this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claire, were you there for the burger king experience in the airport in Istanbul? Not only did Rod INSIST on having burger king, but he of course did not have any money. I believe it was around $25-30 for our two meals, if not more. I caved and bought the poor kid burger king.

    Also, Spain is not as expensive as a lot of other parts of Europe, but it's not cheap. You can definitely still travel on a budget with hostels, non-high speed trains hole in the wall restaurants. The euro is nearly as bad as it used to be, you will be fine on that enormous teacher salary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The reason the exchange rate to the Euro is so bad is because of the countries which have the euro - the very same countries YOU want to visit. Stop complaining; if you want to see the sights, you're going to have to pay the same as the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete