Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How This Love Affair Came About

I thought that perhaps I should devote a post to how my love affair with the world and travel all got started. I've been writing of my adventures for two years now, but I have never really told you all how it began. So here is the 411, abbreviated.

For three consecutive spring breaks,  I went on a team to the Dominican Republic to work with Food for the Hungry, an organization devoted to ending physical and spiritual poverty around the world. Pretty cool organization, and for some reason lost to history, I jumped at the chance to go. I had not done a whole lot of traveling prior to that point, so I suppose it  was just that I was excited to get out and do something different.

Best. Trip. Ever.

Building the base of the latrine. That's me in red.
Yeah, I was building very unglamorous latrines,  it was hot as Hades, and I didn't understand much Spanish, but that is when I started to wake up to the fact that most of the world lives differently than me. I was pretty darn privileged.

It's also where I became consumed with learning Spanish. By the second or third trip, I realized that I was understanding a whole lot more between the beginning of the week until the end of the week, and assumed that if I had more time, I could be fluent. The seed was planted. I was going to learn Spanish no matter what it took.

So I moved back to West Virginia and in with.....my parents (gasp!) I was willing to do whatever it took to make this dream happen. But you should know this decision was not easy. It had been my goal since the 8th grade to break free of home, what I considered to be my oppressive parents, and hokey West Virginia.  I bolted at the earliest opportunity and flitted about Philadelphia, Atlanta and D.C doing respectable things like college and AmeriCorps.  I was pretty proud of my independence and now?  NOW?  I was willingly going back to it. 

But you know what? It really wasn't that bad. I worked two jobs, got back into playing volleyball, dated a guy with a serious alcohol problem (ummmm.........having to blow into a Breathalyzer to make the car start *should* have been a very clear red flag), and before you know it, I had enough money and was ready to jet down to Central America. Oh and my parents? It turns out they actually aren't oppressive at all. They are decent folks who just like to do a good job raising their kids.

Lago de Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala
Anyway, saved up my money, randomly (seriously, randomly) chose a Spanish school in Antigua, Guatemala, sent them a few emails, booked  a ticket, and two of my best friends and I showed up in Guatemala City one February morning praying and hoping someone would be there to get us.

They were. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

Cerro de la Cruz, Antigua Guatemala
We ended up traveling all over Central America, with only a few minor usual mishaps-got robbed, bribed by the police, got called a "stupid American bitch" and of course, got sick with various stomach ailments in which I was sure the end was nigh.

All in all, a very successful trip.

Asia called my name shortly after that. And the rest is history!
Copan Ruinas, Honduras


Just climbed Vulcan Pacaya

9 comments:

  1. *BIG SMILE* sO GLAD YOU REALIZE THAT "HOME" AND "PARENTS" AREN'T SO BAD AFTER ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight into how you got started traveling. Every travel blogger should devote at least one post to this topic, now that I think about it.

    And that's quite funny - your date actually had to blow into a breathalyzer to start the automobile! Yeah, that's a pretty good hint that there's a problem ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always manage to put a smile on my face Claire! Love reading about your adventures and how you started travelling. Sweet photos too! It reminds me of my first "real" trip. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for the kind words :) I would be interested to hear your stories as well.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire,
    I loved reading this story about how your travel love developed! I was always interested in foreign countries even as a kid, but I did an exchange student to Mexico in 9th grade and I was totally hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post! I had a very similar experience--for two summers in a row in middle school, I spent a week volunteering in the slums of Mexico. We built houses, but we also interacted with the locals. It was shocking, but left a major impression on me and made me so grateful for everything I had. I'm glad you were able to make it back to Central America!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi

    Glad to see you enjoyed your time in Antigua although being robbed seems par for the course!

    I am thinkg of doing the same thing, just wondered which Spanish school you used and if you woul recommend it?

    Thanks

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi

    Glad to see you enjoyed your time in Antigua although being robbed seems par for the course!

    I am thinking of doing the same thing, just wondered which Spanish school you used and if you would recommend it?

    Thanks

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there,
    We went to Centro Linguistico Internacional. I would recommend it if you are just wanting to get the basics down (vocabulary, verb tenses). I also went to another school in Xela where I feel that I learned more. It's less of a party atmosphere up there and that's where I feel I did the real work of learning. I can't remember the name of that school right now, but if interested, I can get that to you as well!

    ReplyDelete