Literally, as we were landing in Madrid early on a Friday morning last month, my friend and I looked at each other and had this conversation:
Me: Hey, do you have the map I emailed you that shows how to get to the hostal?
Her: No, I left it. Do you have the address?
Me: No, because I emailed you the map. You are in charge of all things map-related.
Both of us now paused for a moment of consternation.
So there we were, with not a whole lot of clue except the name of the hostal and the metro stop. That was it. Madrid is a big city.
Oh well, just find internet right? Right, but the airport internet wasn't working for some mysterious reason.
Of course.
Long story short, a kind metro employee Googled the hostal for us, pointed it out on a map, and told us exactly what lines to take to get there. Perfect.
Three hours after landing, we arrived exhausted, bedraggled (and for me, a little ill) heaving ourselves up the stairs and into the front lobby of Hostal Comercial. After a pleasant conversation in Spanish, we learn that we can't check in until 12 or 12:30. Uggh. I just wanted to sleep and it was only 9:45.
But sleep I did, right there on the couches with a lion perched above my head.
After waking up and feeling famished, we headed out to find some food and explore our surroundings. What we found was McDonald's (don't judge me. I was feeling sick and needed some comfort) and a hive of city activity. Hostal Comercial is set in a fantastic location-close to just about everything you might want to see on a quick trip to Madrid. Plaza Mayor is a few blocks away, the Sol metro stop a few steps, the La Latina tapas district a little jaunt and everything else a short little hike-perfect if the weather is cooperating. Which-it completely did except for one day when it was rainy and drizzly.We never took public transportation once, minus the to and from airport trips.
Granted, we walked until we fell into bed each night feeling as if we had just done some sort of Civil War march, but that is beside the point. We saved money and we got exercise.
As for the hostal, with any internet find, there are going to be some pros and cons. If you are looking for a place to crash in Madrid, pay attention.
First the good: Excellent location, super clean (much more so than my own home), and decently priced. We stayed 4 nights, split the room, and the total came to about $100 each. Not bad for the euro. Winter season helped out a bit with the price. It was a shared bathroom, but there was a sink in our room to make it a little more convenient.
Now the bad: Excellent location minus some good soundproofing means that we were part of all the comings and goings of the party crowds each night. At one point, it really felt as if the man standing in the middle of the street screaming drunkenly in Spanish was sitting right next to my bed. And speaking of the bed, I am still sort of stretching out the kinks acquired while trying to find out a spot that was softer than what I imagined the street might feel like if I were sleeping on it.
Ok, it wasn't that bad, but you get the idea.
All things considered, I would stay again if the price were still right. I would also make sure I was prepared and knew where I was going BEFORE my plane began its descent.
to my defense, i said i'd get us there and i got us there... sure it may have taken me a few minutes to get situated to my surroundings but let's not forget who actually asked the metro employee to look up our hostel! interesting you left that part out after throwing me under the bus :)
ReplyDeleteEach hostel is so very different. some are very noisy and some so quiet. I definitely research ahead of time,
ReplyDeleteAbernard: sometimes i must throw BFF's under the bus to get a good story ;) just kidding. however-you will be duly exalted in an upcoming post
ReplyDeleteayngelina-research is key! otherwise, who knows what you will end up with?!!
Was the bed as awesome as the bed Mary slept in in Cuenca, Ecuador where her butt touched the floor through the mattress? Or was it as comfy as the concrete beds in Mancora, Peru? Gosh, we've had some really quality sleeps in hostels.
ReplyDeleteHaha I love how no matter what country I go to, somehow I always end up at a Mcdonalds at least once before i leave (it's the free wifi I swear!)
ReplyDeleteAgreed-for some reason, McDonald's always creeps into my eating choices when traveling abroad!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a really nice hostel. I love the red! And I would never judge you re: McDonald's. I ate there myself the other day, the first time I've done that overseas in many years. Since I'm in Israel, it was kosher - a Big Mac with no cheese! I would not recommend this.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing the food at mcdonalds overseas. it's always different.
ReplyDeletewhew! so no judgement from you guys then! good to know. and matt-definitely encountered a McDonald's crawfish sandfish in Hong Kong. tasty.
ReplyDeleteSounds like my friend and I when we travel. You dont check on things until it too late. It least you made it to the hostel and liked it enough to consider staying again.
ReplyDeleteAll is well that ends well right? We survived!
ReplyDelete