I CANNOT READ A MAP IF MY VERY SOUL DEPENDED ON IT.
This has been an ongoing condition, first discovered when I began traveling without the directive leadership of dear ole' mom and dad.
I tried to pretend as if I could read a map. I tried to fake out friends, strangers, and traveling companions alike. You know, you stand with your map, you point to various things on it, you peer pensively around, you look up then down then up, then stride off confidently into the sunset. If you're in a group, you try to throw in helpful suggestions by just randomly speaking street names or routes that are in the vicinity of where ever you may be headed. For example:
Group: Well, how about we try to head this direct-
Me: RT. 30!!!
Group: No, it really looks like this is where we need be going-
Me: CONGRESS AVENUE!
You get the idea.
But my severe lack of directional knowledge was officially confirmed when I headed off to Central America with two of my best friends. I think they tried to pretend like I was very helpful and knowledgeable at first, but we all knew the sad truth much sooner rather than later. Finally, we arrived at the point where the two of them would discuss best routes, how to get out of a neighborhood, how to get to the bus/airport station, how to get back to our hostel/house, all while I sat or stood quietly somewhere, waiting for them to lead me onward and forward. If we were lost, I ceased to be consulted. I did try to pipe up once, near the end of our trip, and both of them just looked at me with a mixture of amusement and pity. Back to waiting patiently on the sidelines I went.
It's ok. I know my weaknesses. On trips with the girls, (or anyone really) I am never ever in charge of directions or getting us anywhere. EVER. On my latest jaunt to Madrid, I literally followed Amanda like a lost little puppy dog. If she said go left, I turned left. If she said go right, well, I did!
I also know my strengths.
I am in charge of finding things for us to do, places to see, and of huge importance, places for us to lay our heads at night.
![]() |
| yeah, right |
I am completely fine with that.
I just hope my students never find out. I can surely read a map on a wall. But put me "in the map?" Forget it.
What about you all? What are you travel strengths and weaknesses?

Yeah I guess I have no problems with maps and direction. My wife is the find the things to do and see and I its my responsibility to make sure we actually are able to get to them.
ReplyDeletesee? everybody should have a responsibility! division of labor ;)
ReplyDeleteMan, everybody knows women can't read maps.
ReplyDeleteAnd my secret is that i'll never teach you to read a map so you're forced to take me on every trip :)
ReplyDeletefriends don't let friends read maps! and JM-i shall reserve my scathing comment for the family thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteI am the worst navigator in the whole world. I inevitably turn the wrong way at the bottom of a stair case if in twists back on itself!! I learned early on in our one year RTW that I should never, ever, ever piss off the one person in the whole world that could get me back home! My partner Jason is the best navigator in the whole world and he never ceased to amaze me at what he could get us through...even blind drunk!! Cheers!
ReplyDeleteummm...how exactly did we make our way through belize?! i thought it was you navigating..or was it me...i seriously doubt i did bc although i'm not quite as bad at map reading as you claim to be, i know that my forte is finding food for pending hurricanes..hence the cheese! hahahaha lol! :)
ReplyDeletesuby-you know, now that i think about it, it really is nothing short of a mystery/miracle that we managed to make it through belize and tikal! i know there certainly weren't any maps involved, because they are useless to me. i think i just relied on nice friendly locals and my ahem..intuition. but yes, finding cheese in the midst of a storm is all up to you!!
ReplyDeleteI am usually ok with reading a map but my sense of direction is horrid!!! Ask me which way is North or South and I will look at you like you grew a second head ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's a good thing that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses while travelling. Then there aren't too many bosses "directing or instructing" on the same thing. I'm usually pretty good with a map....usually better than my travelling companions. :-))
ReplyDeletep.s. thanks for the comps. let me know if my blog still looks a bit off.
Cheers sweetie!
Cat-agreed!
ReplyDeleteReese-will do!
My sense of direction sucks too. But getting lost can be fun! (at least that's what I keep telling myself)
ReplyDeleteTrue Matt, it can be fun. Sometimes it takes you places you didn't meant to go and you have the best time! Or it can make your plans completely ruined. Either way, and adventure right?
ReplyDelete