This trip did not really seem too real for some reason, until I was ascending into the clouds away from the Miami airport. As the man beside me crossed himself and sent a kiss heavenward, it finally set in: I am going to Nicaragua to do exactly what I have been wanting to do for the past five years.
So here I am, having safely arrived in Granada yesterday afternoon. I spent Saturday night in Managua with a friend and her family (thanks Lisette!) who took good care of me and when they dropped me off at the bus station, I felt like a little kid being dropped at daycare. I was officially on my own.
Fifteen hours later I have already been to the grocery store, strolled through the mercado, people-watched in parque central, found an air-conditioned internet cafe, ate dinner solo (no tears), spent a fitful night on a questionable mattress, and promptly switched mattresses this morning. This 30 year old can no longer sleep soundly just anywhere. And speaking of things I can no longer handle very well, a future post will be dedicated to the slovenly habits of backpackers (some, not all). If you have ever backpacked or stayed in a hostel, you know what I am talking about.
Back out into the surface of the sun I go. This is a three shower a day kind of adventure.
Adios for now.
I'm so happy for you and proud of you. I did want to cry when you wrote about people watching at parque central. Close your eyes and remember, "Let me see you one two step.."
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteyes, but people watching without ppandit is not nearly as much fun! and if i suddenly break out into hip hopera by myself, the locals may have a few things to say about la gringa loca!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you made it safely to Granada. I too felt like I was dropping my kid at school for the 1st time. Lol.. It was a pleasure to have had u stay here with us! Hope we didn't scared u too much ;) enjoy your time in Granada!
ReplyDeletethis post made me laugh...unfortunately at your expense. :-))
ReplyDeletegood luck to you and I hope the showers are at least clean and mostly germ free! i hope you didn't forget your shower sandals Claire!
Reese, the showers are not clean. good thing I NEVER forget shower sandals. That is the one thing I do not leave home without. I´m glad it gave you a chuckle and hope all is well with you!
ReplyDeleteLisette, when you were leaving I felt like reaching my hand out and saying nooooooooo don´t leave meeeeeeeeee! Anyway, I hope to see you very SOON!
i'm glad you made it safe and sound and it sounds like you've already done so much and it sounds so nice and relaxing, minus the extra heat of course! i can't wait to hear more about the volunteering experience! when do you start?
ReplyDeletejust out of curiousity - since i've always wondered how/if i could do the solo dining myself - did you get weird stares? did anyone say anything to you that seemed out of the ordinary? did you take a book to keep you company? or did you "talk" to someone who wasn't there like certain people we saw in dc?! hahah
so excited for your brave new adventure! even though you've traveled all over, for some reason i feel like experience of being solo really makes you a true traveler! (which also means i'm not!)
just wanted to say that i noticed the whole "from Camp Granada Summer Camp" theme of the title ... not sure if anyone got that. love the blog!
ReplyDeleteHa, thanks Scott! I had not thought of it either, but you are correct. I should have titled it "Dear Mom and Dad."
ReplyDelete