And Saturday just so happens to be the day that I leave for Nicaragua. I am pretty excited, but also slightly nervous-this is the first time I have traveled solo. Yes, there will be other people around, but they won't be MY people. Because of this, I have developed a lengthy list of irrational fears that have caused minor consternation over the past month.
Here is a sample:
1) What if I don't wake up in time every morning? (Aside from not being in charge of directions on trips, I am also not in charge of time)
2) Will I eat alone every night, crying salty tears into my rice and beans?
3) What if I get there and forget every conjugation of Spanish verbs that I ever learned last time I was there?
4) What if the Nicaraguan kids think I am as mean as some American kids think I am?
and most middle school of all:
5) What if nobody likes me or wants to be my friend?
6) In the event that #5 occurs, does that mean I will be climbing volcanoes and relaxing on the beach solo on my off days?
Is there anything wrong with being alone? No, definitely not. I have just never, ever done it on a trip before. Ever. So this is uncharted water for me.
I think I can do it, and what's more, I think it will be good for me.
If all else fails and I have no friends, I have my blog to update, trusty ole' Blue and a brand spanking new copy of The Lost Girls, 560 pages of three friends' journey around the world. I've been wanting to read it since I discovered it after venturing into the world of blogging three years ago. I decided that I would wait until my next extended trip do that.
That trip is here, and the book has arrived today.
So that's all folks. Got my book, my passport, some clothes, a mix of excitement and trepidation (mostly excitement), and an adventure waiting to happen.
Any thoughts on traveling alone?

How exciting! I've never traveled solo to a new environment,so have no advice. Kudos to you, and I think you'll be fine and most of your fears do seem a bit, well, irrational. So it goes.
ReplyDeleteHave fun!
Exactly, irrational! If I am crying over dinner, well, then I have some real issues that are going to need to be worked out prior to going ;)
ReplyDeleteI haven't travelled alone much, but I think the fears you mention are quite similar for most travellers, even if they travel with a partner or friend. Anticipation is all part of the fun of travel...good luck! =)
ReplyDeleteTravelling alone=BEST TIME EVER! I can't wait for my (solo) trip to Peru in August and I don't speak a lick of Spanish (time to learn, maybe?)
ReplyDeleteOy, you've picked a tomb to read! Personally, I am more partial to 300pg'ers or less (but more of them, which defeats the purpose, I know) as they are easier to balance and read while eating. But you've picked a good one!
Thanks Andrea! Thanks for stopping by, and you are probably right. There is always some form of fear that pops up, no matter now trivial.
ReplyDeleteRebecca-I take it you have read the book? If you are spending a long time in Peru, you will probably just pick it up as you go. A few lessons never hurt anyone though.
I agree with Rebecca, travelling solo is absolutely amazing and that's the ONLY way I travel. I can't even imagine travelling with someone else at this point.
ReplyDeleteThere a million reasons I love travelling solo but here are the ones that come to mind right now:
*It's a feeling of freedom and independence that you've probably never experienced before. Every single moment of every day is up to you and you only, and you can spend it doing whatever you wish.
*It's so much easier to make friends and meet other travellers/locals when you're by yourself. You're easier to approach and you'll find that you have to force yourself to get out there more.
*You'll learn to not be afraid of being alone. Remember, being alone does NOT equal being lonely. In fact, after my first solo travel experience, I realized that I NEED my alone time (even though I'm a very extroverted guy) and if I'll crave it after a while of too much socializing. Remember that there's nothing wrong with having days where you're on your own (in fact, some of my favorite days of travelling consisted of just me and my book...don't feel that you have to go go go all the time).
I think you're gonna have an amazing time and I can't wait to see what happens. Keep an open mind, enjoy exploring this new freedom, and look forward to getting to know yourself waaaay better. If you have any questions, shoot me a message or tweet anytime!
I travel solo mostly and all your irrational fears are a possibility. Oh wait, was I supposed to say something nice?? :P
ReplyDeleteSometimes a bit of fear is good because it reminds you that you are alive.
Thanks Jaemin Yi, for the pep talk. I do believe it will be a great experience, for all of the reasons you listed. If not, I will send you a very disgruntled message!
ReplyDeleteAnd Roy? Thanks for confirming all of my irrational fears. I expect nothing less of you, despite the short time I have "known" you. Ha. ;0)
I will send you a disgruntled message, just because.
Hey Claire,
ReplyDeleteYou're going to have an amazing month full of wonder and challenges! Not to say there won't be difficult moments but remember it's how you handle them. You have a great attitude and sense of humour and it will get you through everything and anything. Solo travel is also a spiritual journey where you will discover and learn things about yourself. Have a great time, and stay safe! And I agree with Roy, fear is healthy and normal, just don't let it get in the way. Fear can be irrational but it's also a good indicator if your survival instincts are working. :-))) Keeps you from getting mugged, etc. :-)))
xoxo
Thanks Reese, for the encouragement. I am actually having a few down moments today, wondering why the heck I am doing this. So it's nice to hear from all of you and it makes me feel like, yes, I can DO this!
ReplyDeleteI have traveled alone quite a few times, and apart from some exceptions, I have to say that I preferred it to having travel companions. You are not "alone", you are "independent". You can meet people when you want and stay by yourself when you want.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your trip, I know you will ;)
Thanks Angela! And you are right-I am independent. Ask my family, and they will definitely confirm that ;)
ReplyDeleteTo me, traveling alone means never having to say "I'm sorry."
ReplyDeleteWell that, AND you always get to choose where you want to eat breakfast.
win-win.
So true Sarah. Although if you have troubles making decisions when it comes to food, it may be helpful to have someone there to say this is what we are doing! Thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteI am currently about halfway through The Lost Girls. I'm leaving on a classic year long RTW starting in FEB, and it was on my list of books to read before i left. What do you think so far? I like it alot!
ReplyDeleteScott, I have mixed feelings on it. I finished it a few weeks ago. I think I will write a review on it when I get back. Stay tuned! What else is on your list to read?
ReplyDeleteI have not figured out what is next. I think I may write a review of it as well, you know ... from a guy's perspective. I am the biggest fan of Amanda's chapters honestly and when I said "a lot", I think I should have just said "i like it", it has let me down as far as the travel side of things, but I enjoy the personal stuff.
ReplyDeleteGood idea and in fact, if we time it right, we could publish the same week? Could be interesting...guys perspective vs. girl perspective.
ReplyDelete