Friday, July 1, 2011

When Did I Walk Into A Strip Club?

So the last two days have been a holiday here in Nicaragua. It just so happened to be Day of the Teachers, so I felt as if it was quite acceptable for me to enjoy it to is full and maximum extent (which I did with various activities including a boat ride to an island, a relaxing swim in a lovely pool, and a ride on the back of a motorcycle driven by a man toting a pistol in his waistband. More on that later).  After all, Teacher Appreciation Week at home was full of free food, nice gifts, and general appreciation for my profession. I was sure it would be just as nice here.

Boy, was I wrong. In fact, any answers or insight to what I am about to describe is welcomed.

It started off well enough. We got to school early and Karla and I got to work hanging streamers and generally making the place look festive. This took approximately two hours and as soon as the last streamer was hung, as if on cue, everybody swarmed in and took their seats. The ceremony began first with the national anthem, and a poem, followed by a few speeches from the students. 

That´s when the dancing began. 

The announcement was made that a trio of first graders would be doing a dance, and they materialized out of the crowd, wearing matching outfits and the cutest little smiles. I thought,  "Oh how cute!"
 and reached for my camera.

Then the heavy beat of reggaeton thudded like a hammer and before I knew it, these sweet angelic five year olds were droppin´it like it was hott. I mean, HOTT. They got low with moves befitting any stripper on my home town´s seedy Rt. 11. My mouth dropped. I looked around to see if anyone was concerned. 

Nope, just me. In fact, a few of the teachers were smiling happily at me, and checking to see if I was happy as well. I was certainly not.

I wish I could say it stopped there, but in fact, it did not. We moved right up through the grade levels, with each dance getting progressively more suggestive and me becoming more horrified. I took a picture at one point and then immediately felt like a pedophile, so you will not be seeing it. 

I don´t know which was worse-the blatantly sexual dancing of these young girls, or the crowd of adults, including teachers, who cheered, whistled and carried on with each flip of the hair and thrust of the pelvis. 

Apparently, I did not even see the worst of it. After talking with the other volunteers, it seems there have been other dances where boys and girls will simulate sexual moves and positions together, again, all while the crowd cheers them on. 

I do not have facts or statistics to back this up, but after a few conversations in the last two weeks, it seems that Nicaragua has an elevated rate of teen pregnancy. I am not surprised. Of course, my own country has its own alarming rate of teen pregnancies. Judging, I am not. Looking for insight, I am. 

Thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - what a shock that must have been. I do believe that you witnessed the rapid degradation of society in this world. I think we get numb to the news reports of such stuff here, but it must have deeply saddened you to sit there face to face with it. Don't let it ruin your trip though. God has given you much to pray for! Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, I have to say that even though I'm a Nicaraguense and I grew up going to festivals where they have children participate in these kinds of dances... I also feel uncomfortable watching these dances! BTW it is more of a cultural and traditional thing to have little kids dance...and more of a carribean dance. Like a famous one called " palo de Mayo" which its celebrated every year in the Atlantic region of the country. BTW it's a month when the carribean's celebrate the God of fertility!! So yeah it's kind of crazy! But I really think that many ppl of Nicaragua follow this tradition without really knowing the significance of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you can contact MTV about a Nicaraguan version of "Dieciseis and Embarazada" and "Teen Madre"...that would be as educational and entertaining as the American version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suby, I will ponder this over the next few weeks. As for the children dancing being a cultural thing, yes I can understand that part. What I cannot understand is the way in which they dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....hmmm....I'm morally shocked...I think. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a few mature kids here on the latin side of Europe, wearing next to nothing and make-up too, so shocked - yes, surprised - uhm, no, not really. I definitely would have reacted the same way as you. However, I think latin America and other latin countries in Europe view sex and sexiness in a very different way than we do in America and Canada. 12 and 13 years old here wear stiletto high heels and heaps of make-up, and their mothers don't seem to mind. They look older than me :-)).

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reese, you raise a good point with the difference of view on sex and sexiness. But the end result is still the same, I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that's slightly horrifying. I teach kindergarten in Korea and as I'm reading this, I'm supervising my 6 year old students at play time. Just the thought of them getting up to do something even close to what you witnessed makes me sad.. I can't imagine the older kids! Or the "simulation sex" dances?? What's up with that? In Korea, any sort of public displays of sexuality is totally taboo. What a difference in culture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristina,
    It was shocking to say the very least-even coming from the American culture of permissiveness and
    "anything goes." The whole thing just made me sad for them and for their futures. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete