Today's title is a little dramatic I suppose. But it's kinda how I felt last weekend.
Theme parks close for the season. Christmas tree farms close for the season. Pools close for the season.
Apparently the southern half of my state also closes for the season.
Hmmmmpfffff.
Last weekend, a good friend and I set off for Part II of the Best of West Virginia Road Trip. The friend in question was the "I"m so stressed about turning 30 that I will take all of my friends to Istanbul, Turkey to
As I mentioned before, I grew up here, but did my best to ensure that I never saw much of the state, preferring the big cities and exotic locales of places like.........Philadelphia. But the first time I journeyed around the state, I immediately fell in love with my home and became a true fan of the Wild and Wonderful-the good, the bad, and the ugly. Anyway, this post is not about that trip. This post is about the sequel trip.
We set a weekend to go, made a loose itinerary, and then promptly made no plans, made no phone calls, nor did any research until the morning of departure.
And by morning of departure, I mean, we did not start researching vital details until approximately 30 minutes after pulling out of the driveway and headed in a westerly direction. I live in the far extreme eastern part of the state, just under an hour from Washington D.C. We were headed to the far western part of the state, clear over to the blasted Ohio River and Blennerhasset Island State Park.
The very same Blennerhasset Island State Park that had just closed for the season a mere four days earlier.
Since when do state parks close? Since Halloween, apparently. But that wasn't the only place that calls it quits post scary holidays.
It was at that moment that my friend tossed the Crackberry to me, accompanied by a gasp of dismay that did not make me feel particularly hopeful that Blennerhasset was to be our only bump in the road. On the contrary. Our next stop-the exhibition coal mine-the ONE THING I had my heart and soul set on?
Closed for the season, a mere four days earlier.
I could feel a fit, as in hissy, coming on.
And so this is how the entire weekend went. Plan C, D, and E materialized, and then, just as quickly, vaporized.
The TransAllegheny Lunatic Asylum? You guessed it. Closed for the season, a mere four days earlier.
The glass-blowing demonstration in Weston, WV? Last one in 30 minutes, when we were still an hour away.
The Blenko Glass factory in Milton, WV? No tours on Sundays. We were there on a Sunday.
The Tex-Mex restaurant that my friend promised was well worth a stop? Not just closed for the season......noooooo..... closed permanently. FOREVER.
Various power and water outages at both overnight locations merely added insult to injury.
| Hawk's Nest State Park |
SERIOUSLY?!!!
After the third travel slap in the face, all I could do was laugh. And find Plan F, G, and H.
We managed to salvage the weekend. Sulking is acceptable for only five minutes. Then it's time to buck up, and find the adventure in the misadventure. Enjoy a few pics of what we did manage to find to keep ourselves occupied.
It seems like I only have issues when traveling in my own state. Remember when I came home without any of my luggage?
| Pt. Pleasant Mothman pose. Creepiest little town in all of WV. Ever seen "The Mothman Prophecies?" |
| In case I wasn't sure where to pose in the glass museum |
| Our beautiful state capitol-Charleston, WV |
| Dressed and ready to kill.......something. |
| Hillbilly Hot Dogs. As featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network. The bus is the dining room. |
OK, I have to go find that episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. That restaurant is hilarious! Did you get anything to eat there? Or did you stick to the coffee (at least that's what it looks like you're holding)?
ReplyDeleteI can't believe so many places were closed?!! With that being said a lot of things close here in Italy as well for the summer. It sucks - big time! It's something to do with cold weather I think :-)). Love these pics Claire! And yes, I watched the movie with Richard Gere in the Mothman Prophecies. Cool!
ReplyDeletep.s. who won? xo
Reese
http://rambleswithreese.etsy.com
http://rambleswithreese.blogspot.com
The last pic is looking really interesting with all the colors. Its like a riot of colors :-)
ReplyDeleteHi Steve! Did you see that episode? I definitely need to watch it now. I got ice cream-I had just eaten a huge lunch and then stumbled upon this place. I was kinda disappointed, but kinda not. Some of those hot dog combos and toppings looked....interesting. Thanks for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteReese-no winner yet. I have been seriously slacking. I will email you ;)
Lumuhuku-it was a riot of SOMETHING. for sure!
LOL! I seriously loved this post and can picture Rod's own hissy fits. hilarious.
ReplyDelete